Site MapCompany InformationContact Us

WhoCanISue.comAccidentsPersonal Injury Assault and Battery

I Was Physically Assaulted By A Police Officer Can I Sue The City They Work For?

If a person who is employed as a city police officer has assaulted you while they are on the job, you can hire a personal injury lawyer and sue the city. These types of cases are particularly difficult and stressful since public perception is often in favor of law enforcement officers. On top of that, there have been plenty of cases where it appears that law enforcement officers got favorable treatment that would otherwise not be afforded the average private citizen.

That said, if you hire a competent personal injury lawyer with a track record of success, and the preponderance of evidence is in your favor, you can still sue and win your lawsuit.

Police officers have one of the most stressful jobs on the planet. Mix that with someone who is hot-headed and egomaniacal, and you have the potential for a PR nightmare for the city and police department, and potential assault and battery charges. Most police officers serve the public with dignity and honor. But when some of them cross the line and abuse their power, they can and should be held to the same legal standards as every other citizen.

While it should not be the case, your personal injury lawyer may be up against tougher odds in your case, since there are the occasional biases in favor of police officers. But as long as your attorney is competent, does their homework, and you are in the right, you should expect a verdict in your favor.

Your lawyer will use the same methods of legal representation as they would in any other case. If you say you were assaulted by the police officer, presumably you mean that you were physically harmed. Under the law, assault is “an intentional, unlawful threat to cause bodily injury to you by force, under circumstances which create a well-founded fear of imminent peril to you.”

The actual assault, as is commonly referred to, is really the battery half of the definition of assault and battery. If the police officer struck you or restrained you harshly for no good reason, that is battery, even if they are carrying a badge.

If the police officer is an employee of the city, then the city can be cited in a civil suit to obtain monetary compensation for pain and suffering, and economic losses that may have been incurred due to an assault and battery. You should contact a personal injury lawyer who has a history of fighting and winning cases involving assault and battery.
Sponsored Links

WhoCanISue.comAccidentsPersonal Injury Assault and Battery

Copyright ©2017 WCIS Media, LLC. All rights reserved
Site Design, Search Engine Optimization, & Content provided by Digital Footprint Media.
VOIP & Data Services Provided by DLJ Management .
The content contained on the web site has been prepared for WCIS Media LLC as a value-add service to it’s legal and medical professionals network, in addition to it’s internet community and in no way is it intended to constitute legal advice or a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional in a particular case or circumstance.